photo home_zpsckc4codp.png photo about_zpsfaqnh4gw.png photo shop_zpsksuqqpj3.png photo contactme_zpsq1fj4li4.png

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Kid friendly Kale (even the adults like it!!)



I admit that I have NEVER liked kale...never until now, that is.  It's one of those vegetables that I would buy because I know that it's good for you.  I would saute it with soy sauce or put it in stir fry, but I always was trying to choke it down and simultaneously not let my kids know how much I despised it.  But since I discovered a kale salad that doesn't require any cooking of the kale and has lots of Parmesan cheese involved, I love it and so do my kids!

Try this...and if you don't like kale, it may just convert you to a kale lover!  It really is good for you:)

Kale Salad

1 bunch of kale leaves (shredded thin)
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 or 3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
3-4 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 to 1 C. of Parmesan cheese (grated)

Wash the kale and then pull the leaves off the stem (or at least off the thickest part) by grasping the end of the stem and then pulling the leafy part off with the other hand.  Pile the leaves up and cut them into thin shreds with a sharp knife and put them in a large salad bowl.






Heat the olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes.  Mince the garlic and add to the oil, cooking and stirring it over medium heat till the garlic just begins to brown.  Add the teaspoon and a half of kosher salt and then the red wine vinegar.  When you add the vinegar, it will sizzle.  Just stir for another 30 seconds or so until the salt begins to dissolve.  Pour the hot oil/vinegar mixture over the kale and toss it.  This will just slightly wilt the leaves:




Grate between a half and a full cup of Parmesan cheese: 



Toss this into the bowl.  Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips