photo home_zpsckc4codp.png photo about_zpsfaqnh4gw.png photo shop_zpsksuqqpj3.png photo contactme_zpsq1fj4li4.png

Monday, September 21, 2015

Denim art designs!


Equals this:



I took this idea from an old issue of SewNews Magazine (January 2005).  I found the magazine in the recycled magazine pile at the library and then I had it filed away for several years after that wanting to try this project, so yay!....reason to celebrate that I finally tried it!  I think it turned out really good so I will rip the article out and file it again!

If you have a denim jacket that needs some new life or that you've had for awhile, this is a fun way to get a "new" version of your old jacket.  This would also be a fun project to do with a daughter or friend.  It doesn't have to be a jacket either....jean pockets, or the border on jean hems would be fun too.

I didn't have a denim jacket to begin with, which is one reason it took me so long to get this project going!  I didn't want to buy a new one because I wasn't sure if I would like the effect.  So I kept looking at the Goodwill and never seemed to be able to find one.  Then, one day I went and found 3 at once!  Ya just never know.

What you'll need:

Denim (Jacket, jeans, or something else?)
Clorox bleach pen (found in the laundry/cleaning isle of the grocery store)
Water or air soluble pen (optional)

  • Protect the work surface just in case the bleach goes through the fabric so that it doesn't get on your table or floor.  Denim is pretty thick so most likely this won't be too much of an issue.  
  • Spread out your article of clothing and draw designs with the fine tip end of the bleach pen.  The water soluble pen could be used to draw your designs first and then trace over.  You may have to go over the lines several times with the bleach pen.  Wait for each section to dry rather than doing everything all at once so that you don't bump or smear wet areas.  You will be able to tell where you may need a bit more bleach after it has dried.  
  • Lines from the pen are about 1/4" thick so don't attempt to do anything to small or intricate.  You can also use a stencil if you are more comfortable.  I used a stencil just for the butterfly part of my jacket.
  • It doesn't have to be perfect or uniform to look good using this technique, which makes this project really fun.
  • Wash and dry the garment to remove the bleach.

If anyone tries this, I definitely want to see pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips